FROM THE ARCHIVE OF: Dave Baldwin
The opening titles and headlines from a Monday evening edition of the programme.
[00:00:00] CLOCK: coming up in 25 minutes on BBC One, the film, a lighthearted story – A Guide for the Married Woman. First the news, with Peter Woods.
[00:00:12] PROGRAMME: a standard opening for this era of the programme, with the usual unsteady zoom of the programme title text.
The main stories:
- Christopher Brocklebank-Fowler defects to the Social Democrats in protest at the Budget.
- Other Tory backbenchers prepare for a mini revolt, in a vote later this evening.
- Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher orders an enquiry into an alleged leak of Budget secrets to the Sunday newspapers.
- Tory MP Geoffrey Dickens claims he is being “leaned on” not to name a former diplomat mentioned in a child pornography trial.
- How an unknown collector of orchids has taken his love of beauty simply too far.
PICTURED: BBC Nine o'Clock News opening titles. COPYRIGHT: BBC.