- 1968 TWW ceased broadcasting. The station lost its franchise in the previous ITV licensing awards and decided to close 10 weeks early. It sold its remaining airtime to HTV for £500,000. However Harlech was not ready to commence transmissions. To fill the gap, an interim service, staffed by former TWW staff, was provided until Harlech's launch on Monday 20th May 1968.
- 1966 The BBC announces plans to start colour transmissions next year.
- 1978 The first episode of Mixed Blessings airs on ITV.
- 1979 The first episode of US series The Dukes of Hazard airs on BBC One.
- 1987 The first episode of Tutti Frutti airs on BBC One.
- 2018 The 100th edition of Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway airs on ITV. The show was presented by Declan Donnelly. Anthony McPartlin was in rehab.
- 2019 The first edition of Race Across the World airs on BBC Two.
- Test Card/Teletext In-Vision Music
- 1983 BBC One Ceefax AM tape Sunny Isle airs for the first time.
- 1992 BBC One tape Interstate 48 airs for the first time.
- 2001 BBC Two tape True Note airs for the first time.
Research for On This Day in TV History is by Paul R. Jackson.
Details about test card/teletext in-vision music and BBC trade test films are available as a result of decades of research and logging by members of the Test Card Circle.
Contribute to this page
If you know of an event that would be worthy of inclusion on this page, please drop us a line using our Contact Form. Items of interest include:
- Programme launches and finales;
- Programme relaunches (including new title sequences and set changes);
- Channel launches and closures;
- Channel presentation changes;
- Transmitter commissioning/decommissioning;
- Trade test film first and final airings;
- Test card/teletext in-vision music tape first and final airings;
- Teletext service launches/relaunches/closures.
If you believe any of the information on this page is inaccurate, please let us know.