- 1982 The BBC News Division split into two separate units: TV News rejoined the Television Service and Radio News rejoined the Radio Service.
- 1962 The first edition of Animal Magic airs on BBC TV.
- 1965 The first episode of The Bed-Sit Girl airs on BBC One.
- 1972 The first episode of Love Thy Neighbour airs on ITV.
- 1974 The first episode of Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club airs on ITV.
- 1975 The final edition of The Golden Shot airs on ITV.
- 1975 The first edition of The London Programme airs on ITV.
- 1980 The first episode of The Swish of the Curtain by Pamela Brown airs on BBC One. Stars The Blue Door Theatre Company.
- 1980 The first episode of Cribb airs on ITV.
- 1988 The first episode of Sophia and Constance airs on BBC Two.
- 1989 The final episode of A Touch of Spice airs on BBC One.
- 1993 BBC News introduced a new look to its domestic news output, on BBC One and BBC Two. A new virtual studio was introduced. The opening sequence wide shot featured an impressive studio set - much of which was computer-generated (with the exception of a portion of the desk and the backdrop behind the presenters). Daytime bulletins, weekend daytime/evening programmes, the One o'Clock News and the Six o'Clock News all had a similar appearance (albeit different theme tunes). The Nine o'Clock News and Breakfast News each had their own version of the set, as well as programme-specific theme tunes. LINK: Article.
- 1993 The first episode of Wildlife airs on BBC One. David Attenborough's 12 favourite Wildlife on One programmes, which he selected from many editions shown over 16 years of the series.
- 2006 The first episode of The Street airs on BBC One.
- 2010 The 500th episode of Holby City airs on BBC One.
Contribute to this page
If you know of an event that would be worthy of inclusion on this page, please drop us a line using our Contact Form (link at the bottom of this page). Items of interest include:
- Programme launches and finales;
- Programme relaunches (including new title sequences and set changes);
- Channel launches and closures;
- Channel presentation changes;
- Advertisement launch dates;
- Transmitter commissioning/decommissioning;
- Trade test film first and final airings;
- Test card/teletext in-vision music tape first and final airings;
- Teletext service launches/relaunches/closures.
If you believe any of the information on this page is inaccurate, please let us know.